This 1950’s ranch house was re-imagined as a contemporary construct for a couple and their adult children to enjoy throughout the year. A glass pavilion for living, dining, and cooking was added to the existing structure, with elegant stone floors and a radiant heating system. The existing house was re-insulated, and high-performance windows and glass doors were installed. In the new construction, high performance glazing was cantilevered from the roof truss, with a series of sliding door openings connecting directly to the outdoor landscape. Articulated wood and stone walls at the entryway celebrate the modernist construct and add texture to the home’s contemporary setting. The project reuses the existing structure and as much as possible, leveraging the use of the mature plantings and the good south-facing orientation of the original house. The landscape embraces the L-shaped structure and blurs the line between architecture and landscape with outdoor terraces, a pavilion, gardens, swimming pool, and outdoor gathering places. Developed in collaboration with Terrain, the planting palette revivifies the borrowed landscape and creates screening at the site perimeter. The gardens and outdoor living spaces were designed simultaneously with the glass pavilion and were conceived as extensions of the new indoor living spaces. This project was created as part of a collaborative team at Ohlhausen DuBois Architects, in tandem with Terrain; all images are courtesy of Ohlhausen DuBois Architects.